Spicy Mango Pickle, anyone?
So what’s my obsession with mangoes?
I have previously done an Aam Panna recipe, Mango cheese cake recipe and this year round I tried a Spicy mango pickle for the first time.
If you are a lover of pickles just like me then you are going to enjoy this recipe. Till date I have tasted umpteen number of pickles. From spicy to sweet, instant to elaborate recipes, I studied and worked on an easy mango pickle recipe to be created at home. Really, very excited because the mangoes used were from my school trees.
The recipe I followed makes 2 kg raw mango pickles which I wished to share with my family and friends.
- 2 kg Mangoes (Raw)
- 2 tablespoons Salt
- 2 tablespoons Turmeric powder (Haldi)
- 2 packets of ready made pickle masala. ( one packet for one Kg)
- one litre oil
1) To begin making the Aam Ka Achaar Recipe (Spicy Raw Mango Pickle), wash the mangoes and dry them completely making sure there is no moisture.
2) Cut the mangoes in half, deseed and further cut them into one inch cubes.
3) In a large bowl, mix 2 tablespoons salt, turmeric powder and cut mangoes. Allow it to marinate overnight or 8 hours until the mangoes release a large quantity of water.
4) Drain the water from the mangoes and keep the water aside. Dry the mangoes on paper towels for about 8 hours or overnight, so they lose the excess moisture.
5) Heat the oil in a saucepan and bring it to boiling point. Once it comes to a boiling point, allow it to cool completely while covered. Add the masala mix to the Mangoes. Once cooled add the cooled oil to the bottled mango pickle mixture.
6) It takes approximately two to three weeks for the aam ka achaar to marinate itself and get the flavours from the masala. Best flavour and tenderness in the pickle comes after couple of months of marination. Having said that the pickle can be eaten almost immediately as well, if you like the taste of fresh mangoes.
Enjoy the spicy and sour home made Aam ka acchar.Yippee to make some Dal – chawal and relish it with finger licking mango pickle 🙂